If you’re looking for a healthy breakfast that’s both high in protein and rich in complex carbs, this is perfect. These super easy-to-make Sweet Potato Egg Cups combine the two and essentially creates a mini frittata! Plus, since you get two per serving, and there’s 12 egg muffins…that gives you six days worth of grab-and-go breakfasts. Or, you can freeze them and reheat them when you want them!
But, there’s something extra special in these egg muffins that helps them stand out from the rest of the egg cup pack. The shredded sweet potatoes taste like hash browns!
- Total Time: 55 min.
- Prep Time: 15 min.
- Cooking Time: 40 min.
- Yield: 6 servings, 2 each
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, shredded
- 3 tsp. olive oil, divided use
- Sea salt (or Himalayan salt) and ground black pepper (to taste; optional)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup broccoli florets, chopped
- 12 large eggs
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Lightly coat a twelve-cup muffin tin with spray. Set aside.
- Squeeze moisture from sweet potatoes using a clean kitchen towel.
- Combine sweet potatoes and 2 tsp. oil. Season with salt and pepper if desired. Divide evenly between prepared muffin cups; press sweet potato mixture into bottom and sides of muffin cups. Bake for 14 to 16 minutes, or until edges are golden brown. Set aside.
- Heat remaining 1 tsp. oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions and broccoli; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 6 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place eggs in a large bowl; whisk to blend.
- Add onion mixture; mix well.
- Evenly pour egg mixture into muffin cups. Evenly sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of cups comes out clean