Lessons Learned from my Fitness Journey

 

Over the years, I’ve struggled with staying consistent. I would go all out to get ready for Summer or after the New Year and then the number and frequency of my workouts would decrease as I got comfortable with my results. I finally made the decision that I was going to be consistent with my habits and commit to making it a lifestyle change. I was tired of starting all over. I was tired of looking at others transformations. I then started doing all of things that I have been hearing lead to success like writing down my goals and participating in a group for accountability and support.
Here are some of my lessons learned:

1. Consistency and patience is key! Going in spurts of hard training then backing off isn’t going to leave you with sustainable results. Keep going!
2. Use sustainable methods to get sustainable results. DO NOT crash diet or become a cardio QUEEN. These results will be short lived because you can’t maintain that intensity. The body will always always rebound and you will find yourself gaining the weight that you lost and then some.
3. Don’t be afraid to lift weights! Between the ages of 30 and 50, women lose 10 percent of their body’s total muscle!!. As women, we have it in our brains that the more aerobic exercise we do, the better we’ll look. Adding muscle increases metabolism and forces the body to burn more calories during the day.
4. Avoid doing the same routine year-in and year-out. The body adapts to workouts whether they be weight workouts or aerobic workouts. You need to switch up your workouts and keep challenging yourself.
5. The opposite of this is to avoid switching too often. You try out a workout a few days, see that it hasn’t yet given you your ideal body, then try something else. Start a program and see it through to the end. Once complete, you can change it up.
6. Don’t be discouraged by the scale!!! Use measurements, progress pictures, and the fit of your clothes to measure your progress.
7. I like the 80/20 rule. I eat clean 80% of the time and the other 20% I allow myself some flexibility. You still need to enjoy life and have some balance. It’s easier to stick to the lifestyle this way. But no skipping meals or starving yourself.

We all want quick results. But the quick fix methods are not sustainable for a lifetime. If you are working out and eating right but feeling frustrated and ready to give up, I want to encourage you! Vow to yourself that it doesn’t matter if you take your progress measurements and pics and see no change YET…this is your new LIFESTYLE…this is WHO YOU ARE NOW. Keep doing what you’re doing because IT’S THE RIGHT THING TO DO. And once you develop that mindset, that’s when the negative thoughts and doubts go away. Because that old way of thinking is GONE! No matter how long it takes, know that you are on the right path, the healthy path, the path that will sustain you for the rest of your life and that if you just stay the course THE RESULTS WILL COME!